"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, November 14, 2011

Whats for Din din?




Spaghetti sauce is one of my specialties.


*Homemade spaghetti sauce

*Organic roasted squash with brown sugar and cinnamon.

*Sour dough bread.



My sauce recipe:

Keep in mind that this recipe is all in my head and my measurements are not exact.

olive oil
1 onion
6 cloves garlic
1 lb. ground beef
1 pkg. spicy italian sausage (remove from casings)
1/2 bottle red wine 
1 large can whole pealed tomatoes, crush them 
3 small cans tomato sauce 
2 Tbls. dried basil
1 Tbls. oregano
1 Tbls. thyme
sea salt and pepper
2 Tbls. brown sugar (my secret ingredient)


Coat the pan with oil. Saute onions, garlic and meat. Then add wine, tomatoes, sugar and spices. Cook at least 3 hours on low (uncovered). 


This recipe might seem standard but a few things make this sauce extra yummy. Make sure to buy a good tasting wine that you would drink in a glass. Buy good quality tomatoes like San Marzano, it makes a huge difference. And of course the brown sugar, this is my secret ingredient it makes the whole thing come together. Also the cooking time is important, I know 3 hours is along time but it will thicken the sauce and condense the flavor.

I roasted the squash at 400 degrees with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon for 30 minutes. They were very small squashes, I am not sure the variety because they came in my Organic Farm Fresh To You box. They tasted like butternut squash, one of my favorites. My "non veggie eater" even liked them!

1 comment:

Mary and Dyer said...

yum!! seems like a great recipe... thanks for sharing!! xox. Never thought to serve spag. & sauce with squash! A good way to get a veggie in there.. :)